Monday, November 2, 2009

Veterans' Day


Veteran's Day is November 11th. I'm writing about it early because I just happened to listen to my playlist at the bottom of our blog this morning and Letters From Home by John Michael Montgomery came on (go play it now while you read this!). I hadn't listened to that song in a long time and it still makes me bawl like a baby. For those who don't know, Richard served in Iraq for a year in 2004. Every time I hear that song a flood of emotions and memories come back. I think about him being gone half way around the world--in 130+ degree heat, with sand EVERYWHERE, with mortars coming in and sirens going off, carrying a weapon on his back 24/7, kissing my fiance goodbye, 4 months later marrying the love of my life and then kissing him goodbye again only 10 days later, eight months of being a long-distance newlywed, living for emails, phone calls and chats with the webcam. To all those who have loved or lost or said goodbye to someone in the military: God bless you. To all the veterans: Happy Veteran's Day next week; thank you. What will my veteran be doing on Veteran's Day? Putting flags up around the neighborhood--just like he does every year. I love you Honey!!

1 comment:

Earl Family said...

*sniff* That was so touching. What a wonderful tribute. Thank you.