Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Gingerbread Pancakes

I saw an ad for IHOP the other day that featured pumpkin pancakes, eggnog pancakes, gingerbread pancakes, and pecan pie pancakes. Uh....YUM! Well, I decided to make my own. I already make pumpkin pancakes frequently, so I decided to try the gingerbread pancakes. Of course I tweaked the recipe a bit to be healthier, but if you want the original it comes from this site.

It's worth it to make this just for the amazing smell that fills your kitchen!!


Gingerbread Pancakes
(From the Magnolia Cafe, Austin Texas)

3/4 cup liquid egg whites or 3 eggs
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon ginger
1 tablespoon nutmeg
1/4 cup light butter, melted

Cream eggs and sugar together. Stir in buttermilk and water; set aside. In a separate bowl sift together remaining dry ingredients.
Stir egg mixture into dry ingredients, then mix in melted butter.
Add more water or buttermilk if necessary, but batter should be thick.
Cook until done on a lightly greased hot griddle or in a heavy skillet (turn once when bubbles appear on upper side and start to break).
Pancakes will be thick and cake-like in texture.
Makes 8 to 10 five-inch pancakes.

I made buttermilk syrup to go on top and it was divine! (and not the least bit healthy ;)

Buttermilk syrup
(from Michelle Lloyd)

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp corn syrup
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla

Bring butter, buttermilk, sugar, corn syrup to a boil in a deep pot. Take off heat. Add baking soda and vanilla. The mixture will bubble up. Stir until it settles.


3 comments:

The Smiths said...

Oh gosh! There you go again, making something that sounds divine!

The Smiths said...

I just clicked away from your blog onto another one and I found this: http://sisterscafe.blogspot.com/2009/11/pumpkin-pancakes-with-apple-cider-syrup.html

Apple Cider Syrup! Mmm. All this talk of food and looking at amazing pictures is making me hungry.

Earl Family said...

Delicious!