Wednesday, September 24, 2008

No meat, no dairy, no sugar, no happiness?

So Richard and I are doing a four-week diet. We started last Wednesday, so only three weeks left to go. Basically we eat nothing but whole grains, nuts, beans, fruits, vegetables, and minimally processed products made from those things, such as tofu, coconut milk, and extra virgin olive oil. The book we're using for the diet has recipes for every day of the four weeks. And the food is delicious! We're eating things we never knew existed like 5 grain tempeh--made out of things like soybeans, millet, brown rice, and oats. Have you ever heard of a grain called quinoa (grows in South America)? We love it! Here is the website for the diet: www.howhealthworks.com . I highly recommend reading the first couple chapters of the book, which is found online, because it is really interesting if for no other reason. Who would have ever thought that I, the must-have-meat-at-every-dinner-could-live-on-dairy-products-alone-and-dessert-is-the-fourth-food-group-queen would be a (temporary) VEGAN?! (Well, technically I'm not truly a vegan right now because I do eat 2 eggs a day. To make sure Bella is getting enough protein in her milk.) And, I am happy about it. I feel good!

3 comments:

debbie said...

Keep us posted on how it works. It sounds super interesting. What do you eat after the 4 weeks? Do you return to your old diet or do you continue with the new one?

J and M Lloyd, est. 2004 said...

Ali,
Whoa. That is quite the diet. Your girls are getting so big - cute as always! Fun to check up on you. Love, Johnny & Michelle

Bill and Mandy Guidry said...

Very cool diet! We are going to check it out.

Your daughters are beautiful!

Good luck with this new job. I can't believe they laid you off. Strange. Well, enjoy the respite care. That will be neat. SMA is more common lately it seems. We have a guy at work who just had a baby that has type 1, and one of my friends has a nephew with it. Maybe it is just that I never really paid attention to it before. Have a good one.