Friday, March 13, 2009

Primary Children's Medical Center

When Bryndi was born she had a heart murmur, which turned out to be a VSD (ventricular septal defect). Basically a little hole in her heart. The murmur went away, but the cardiologist wanted a follow up now that she's 2, to make sure everything is fine. So we made the trip up to Primary Children's in Salt Lake to have a heart echocardiogram done. Bryndi did NOT want to cooperate. She let the tech put the leads on her, but when it was time to do the echo, she cried and cried.


Now for my confession. I worked at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center in Provo for 5 1/2 years in the newborn ICU. I was always miffed when I would hear stories about all the fabulous things that Primary's got to do in their NICU because of donations. I thought, same company-- why can't they share the donations with our babies at our hospital? So I resented it and I never wanted to donate to things that were fund raisers for Primary's. Childish, I know, but this has carried on for years. Now I've seen the error of my ways. This hospital is fabulous! They gave Bryndi this red teddy bear, and the blanket she's sitting on. Then when she finally calmed down enough to do the echo, they gave her some tokens to buy toys with from little vending machines.


So here she is waiting for the cardiologist to come in. Toys in each hand, a bracelet on her wrist, and a huge smile on her face. Her heart is totally fine, no need for another follow up. Bryndi actually threw a fit when we left the hospital and has asked to go back several times. And several times a day she tells me that Ali put jelly on her chest. (the tech's name was Aliesha and the jelly is same stuff as when you get an ultrasound.)

Okay, so now I love Primary Children's! I should have loved them all along because this little niece of mine has spent countless days there. This is Tabitha. She has SMA (spinal muscular atrophy) and I actually get to be her nurse 3 times a week. She is in a program that pays for a respite nurse and my sister-in-law hired me! So I'm happy with the hospital, but let's all pray that Tabitha DOESN'T go to the there again!

3 comments:

candiceshawnshepherd said...

Glad everything is okay! I love how kids say "I want to hold you" when they want us to carry them! Your girls are too cute! I saw on facebook that you weren't feeling well- Hope you are feeling better!

Laura said...

Yes, i do like that hospital. Though i hated going their with Kennedy, they tried so hard to make it the best they could. I will always have a soft spot for it and we donate every year to them. I am so glad that her vsd closed up!!!! hopefully you won't be back there again for any treatment!

terica said...

So happy to hear everything is ok. That is relieving I am sure. Last night I found John and his wifes blog and read it for a long time. What an amazing couple and the fact that you get to work for them is so awesome. What a sweet little girl she is and her parents amaze me. I didn't know you guys lived in Utah? Fun. Hope you are doing well. Also thanks so much for your comments and concern, you are always so uplifting. I am happy that although we have never met in person, we can still have a relationship. Take care!